Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Even before we found out we were expecting I had this feeling I'd have a boy. Of course this feeling is totally unreliable and completely unconfirmed. I ran across this blog post (linked below), written by a friend of a my friend Tiffany, that gave me something to think about.

Beautiful Things, by Carina

As I read it, I squirmed and thought, "This woman speaks the cold, hard truth." I remembered my mom grieving for her beautiful things ruined by my four brothers and felt a twinge of sadness for my beautiful things. Then I remembered something that gave me hope. Tiffany has two boys and I've never heard her talk about anything they've destroyed! Stubbornly, I thought, "Not all boys are like that." Well, then I scrolled down and read the comments below the blog post and the first was from Tiffany:
Likely said...

ditto. just this morning oliver colored all over my grandmother's antique drop leaf table. The one she had painted herself in the 40's. Awesome.

and then he giggled as I made him try to clean it with a sponge. I think he liked the trying to clean it part too much. Makes me think he will try it again so he can try to clean it.

I love my boys.

Yikes.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, but I remember that you did a few (very few in comparison to the boys) things that grieved me too...once when you were about 18 months old, I was wearing my black pearl necklace to church I think, but we were in the car. You apparently like it so you thought it would be fun to play with and snatched it. It broke and I had a devil of a time finding all the pearls on the floor of the car. I had to have more added....but that was years and years later when I could afford it.
    But it doesn't matter to me really...you were my black pearl--the most treasured one!

    ReplyDelete