Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bulging belly

38 Weeks


The other day I walked into the locker room at the gym on my way to join the grandmas for water aerobics and a woman looked at me, gasped, winced and exclaimed. I laughed and said, "That must mean that I'm about ready to have this baby when people are alarmed at the size of my belly." She laughed along with me and tried to soften the blow by saying, "No, you look good, it just looks like you're getting close." Part of me was thinking, "Whatever lady, don't try to back pedal now. I already saw the look of shock and horror on your face." Giving her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she wasn't expecting to see such a pregnant belly at the gym.

A few months ago it was all solidarity and empathy. I would pass another woman on the path as I was walking and hiking and I'd hear, "You go, girl" or "Bless your heart!" Now people are just cringing.

Brace yourselves. Here are some belly shots for posterity:


Both were taken at 37 weeks, 1 day. Kinda hilarious how my belly button has stretched out to the point of almost disappearing, no? Paul is disappointed that it didn't pop out and go bing like a turkey timer. He was looking forward to that.

1 comment:

  1. AHHHHHH! you are so stinking cute! That lady was funny. I bet you were right on that last guess--- no one expects to see a huge pregnant belly at the gym! You are a wonderwoman! Your post pregnancy body will thank you for your gym attendance.

    You look great Al! I love that basketball belly!

    ReplyDelete